Disqualified aspirant on the ticket of the NDC in the upcoming Buem Parliamentary by-election, Mr. Kofi Adams has disclosed, he will not take part in the elections as an independent candidate.
The suspended Deputy General Secretary of the ruling party was denied the opportunity to contest the primaries, on the grounds that the Disciplinary Committee was yet to make a determination of his membership of the party, after he took the party to court over his suspension.
Kofi Adams filed the suit to challenge his suspension over an alleged tape-recording of a conversation between Mr himself and the Executive Director of the Danquah Institute, Mr Gabby Asare Okyere-Darko discussing how to run down the NDC in the 2012 general elections.
He later withdrew the case from the court when the Buem seat became vacant following the death of the MP-elect, Henry Ford Kamel on Christmas Day last year.
General Secretary Johnson Asiedu Nketia said Mr. Adams does could not enjoy the rights as a party member since the Disciplinary Committee was yet to determine the matter.
Reports suggested the Aide to party Founder and Ex-President Jerry Rawlings, may contest the February 26, 2013 by-election as an independent candidate, to protest his disqualification.
Speaking however, on Joy FM’s Newsfile programme on Saturday February 9, 2013, categorically stated that he will not run as independent candidate in the Buem by-election.
He said the party took the decision not to allow him to contest the by-election and he will respect that decision.
“I believe the right time will come for me to represent the party in the Buem constituency,” Kofi Adams said.